On the day before Thanksgiving they were finally able to get
the beans out of the field! We still
have field work to do, tile work to do, equipment cleaning and repair,
etc. but we are done with harvest!
A way to keep family and friends updated on our family and farming.
About Me
- Kelli
- I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.
Tuesday, December 17, 2013
Finishing up with Harvest
We finished up our corn harvest at the beginning of
November. We were all very excited to
have it done. Bean harvest took a little
bit longer. It seemed to rain or snow
just enough to make the beans to wet to harvest. We would have a dry spell and then when they
were just about ready to go it would rain or snow again. When they were finally able to go in beans they
would run until they could no longer go.
We are talking working until 2-3am when they knew rain or snow was in
the forecast. One Friday night they
called because it was 10pm and they were starving and planning to work for
several more hours. I cooked some frozen
pizzas, grabbed some chips and drinks and headed to the field. Diane was nice enough to come sit with the
kids. They were all so excited to have
food that they thought the frozen pizza was delicious. I think if I brought steak or PBJ sandwiches it
would have made the same impression. They were just starved and thankful for
food. That night they finally had to
stop with 90 acres to go. They weren’t
happy about it but they couldn’t work any more either! It rained the next and and made for some
tired and grumpy farmers!
Labels:
farming
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment