About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Biker Riders



Our kids don’t get to ride bikes often.  We just don’t have any good places to ride and learning on a gravel driveway can be a challenge.  This past summer Vincent finally mastered the tricycle.  The fact that he is on the shorter side made it difficult because his legs just didn’t reach the pedals that well.  When we go on vacation two things that make the kids really happy are having a place to ride bikes and swimming.


Joel

Over the week we were gone Vincent was able to ride his bike 3 different days.  He started off painfully slow and not knowing how to use his brakes.  After the first day he understood how to use his brakes but I think I saw a snail or two pass him.  By the 3 day we was pedaling at a great speed and not freaking out every time he went down a small hill.  He was starting to be really confident riding his bike and it showed.  Vincent wanted to ride his bike everywhere we went. 


Vincent


We brought a long a little tricycle for Joel to try and I didn’t think he would have any interest in riding on it.  Joel would load up in the stroller for our trip to the park or for a stroll around camp and then he would notice Vincent getting on his bike and Joel would get out of the stroller, put his helmet on and say “My try, my try” as he was getting on his tricycle.  When we started vacation Joel would just sit on the bike and put his feet on the ground and scoot around.  The park was less that 2 blocks away but at that speed it would have taken over 30 minutes to get there.  Brad and I took turns pushing him, but he would just want to put his feet straight out and not even try to pedal.  I decided that wasn’t going to work.  After much practice the first day I got Joel to put his feet on the pedals and keep them there.  By the end of our vacation Joel was doing a pretty good job steering (not perfect, but he was trying), was attempting to pedal on his own, and my back was a little sore from bending over and pushing him around camp.  


Vincent explaining something to Aunt Alyse


Aunt Alyse and Vincent


One morning we took my in-laws’ dog, Tally, with us for a walk.  The boys were both riding their bikes and Cecilia was in her stroller.  The original plan was that Joel was going to be in the stroller too, but he really wanted to ride his bike.  We started our walk to the dog park.  We looked a little crazy!  Brad pushed the stroller, walked Tally, and made sure Vincent was safe.  I pushed Joel.  I was watching over Vincent for a while, but he was going too fast for Joel and I.  Joel and I turned around half way to the dog park and headed back to camp.  The rest of the group made it all the way to the dog park before turning around.  Hopefully next time we go camping Joel is better at pedaling his tricycle because my back does not enjoy pushing him and his tricycle all around.


Aunt Alyse giving Vincent a little push up the hill

No comments:

Post a Comment